Saturday, October 10, 2009

Moving House 1

This has been written over a couple of days - as moving house is rather distressing and needed documenting, but quite sapped all my vigour.

It's six twenty five in the morning and I am sitting on my bed surrounded by too many boxes. There is a problem. All these boxes contain books. Underneath these boxes are my other belongings, but I can't box them because they're under the books. 

Am going to ask the help of professional movers to make this transition. Last year I broke a stack of ribs because of ill-considered lifting and most of my family and friends conveniently have had horrid back pain at some point this year.

And besides, I am practically an adult now. Certainly mostly-employed, at least, and it is only a civic duty in these economic times to make the stretch to hire flex movers who pride themselves on furniture removelists that "are fully trained, hardworking and enthusiastic".  They are also advertised as all "under the age of 25, extremely fit and genuinely enjoy moving houses."

I wouldn't want someone who didn't enjoy his job.

I'm excited about the potential of this house. And a bit worried about what state I'm going to find it in. I move in on Friday. Friday afternoon, after work. That's when my stuff will (hopefully) be delivered.  But I can't put anything out until I've at least cleaned the place and turned the electricity on. I'm feeling a little bit overwhelmed about organising all that before the move date. 

Thankfully, it's very likely Anney will be my lady lodger - and she's very good with a broom, so I am led to believe.

It's now Saturday.

Anne and I are set to explore the garage sale potentialities of Indooroopilly - all those middle class students moving house and what not. This is very exciting. I have visions of buying distressed and rustic (it needn't be both) hardwood wardrobes for an ant's of the price, and discovering ancient oriental throws  to toss over the backs of chairs and sofas.

Today I will also Finish Packing. I have been beastly lazy. I have books still  to fit into boxes - not to mention the rest of the shit I own.

Moving house seems to me a cluttered and impulsive business - nothing can be planned because the house moving gods don't seem to both reading the plans we lay.  And I'm not really sure what has to happen next.

Thankfully, we found out yesterday that the electricity is already on.

1 comment:

  1. It was a grand and highly productive day indeed. Looking forward to more ventures as we get settled in and start arguing over teapot placement.

    Did I mention that I have goose and gander salt and pepper shakers? They are divine and demand positioning on our sideboard. :)

    ReplyDelete